Dumangas - Iloilo Destinations


Dumangas is a settlement named "Araut" in 1212 AD. When the Malays of the Shri-Vishayan Empire migrated to the Philippines one tribe settled in the Southern Coast of Panay. Some of the settlers docked at Talaugis River. They called this place Araut after the village where they came from.


Several versions explain how Araut became Dumangas. One story tells of a Spaniard who asked a native of the name of the place. The native thinking, that he was asked about the name of the mango tree under which he is resting replied, "Dos Manggas". Another version came from a Visayan word "duro" meaning "many" and the Spanish word "Manggas" meaning sleeves.


Historical records show that Dumangas got its name from the oral report of the Legaspi's French officer who mentioned the phrase "Sitio du Manggas" to refer to the place where he got replenishments. The Chronicler noted the name "Sitio du Manggas". In time, it was shortened to Dumangas.


The Municipality of Dumangas is a third class municipality in the Province of Iloilo in Western Visayas. It is bounded in the North by the Municipality of Barotac Nuevo, on the South and East by the Guimaras Strait and on the West by the Municipalities of Pototan and Zarraga.


You can read more about Dumangas history at The Official Online Home of Dumangas


National Statistic Coordination Board