It is a second class municipality in the province of Sorsogon, Philippines.
Tucked into the south-eastern part of the island of Luzon and carved out of a thick forest on the coast of the Pacific Ocean, Gubat is the third largest town in the province of Sorsogon
Gubat was originally a small barrio of Bulusan, inhabited by a few Tagalogs, Visayans and Albayanons who travelled on foot to hunt wild animals. These people built their homes close to the shore and called their location Buri, which today is the barrio of Buenavista. In 1764, Gubat finally became a town with Don Pedro Manook, the first Teniente del Barrio, also becoming the first gobernadorcillo.
The word "gúbat" means forest in Tagalog. However, the name applied to the town is derived from the verb "guinobat", a term used by the natives which means "raided". In the early days when Christians and Muslims were constantly at odds, Muslim pirates would come in from the southern seas to raid the town. Because of the frequent raids, the town was referred to as "guinobat" which eventually became "Gubat". Legend has it that during one of those raids, the pastor along with the townspeople held up a statue of St. Anthony to ward off the attack, praying for a miracle. In one account, it was said that the child Jesus in St. Anthony's arms drove back the pirates. St. Anthony of Padua became the town's patron saint and his feast day is lavishly celebrated as an official parish and town holiday every13 June.